Why Does the Tree Reach to the Sky?


When I first saw this picture, I was inspired by an incredible sense of longing. And I wrote this little snippet for Red: "And she reached and she reached....but no matter her struggle weathered, withered, fingers could not touch the heavens....only grasp at the one set so high above her." Needless to say I wasn't content to leave it at that. It's crossed my mind a few times in this last week and finally I settled on the following. The title is because as I wrote, I imagined a mother sitting with her child and answering him. Telling him the sad sweet story.






Original image by RedSuzanne of DA (minor editing by myself)

Why Does the Tree Reach to the Sky?

“Why are you alone?”
Asked the owl winging by.
“Because...” Said the tree.
“Between my love and I is placed the entire sky.”

“Can't you reach further?”
He said, as alighted he on weathered limb.
She shook what bare leaves were left clinging.
Then she explained to him.

“That's my love there.”
Twisted bare branches stretched overhead.
“Do you see her, shining.”
The tree wistfully said.

“You mean the moon?”
Queried the owl full curious now.
“Yes, that is she.”
Said he, “But how?”

For this the tree had no answer.
Excepting that, “love is love.”
And she knew where her own heart lay.
With that soft glowing goddess above.

“How long have you grown here?”
She replied, “I only know centuries pass...”
“Yet despite how I've tried and tried,
My love lies beyond my grasp.”

The owl now heavy of heart,
Sat quite in thought.
Pondering that age old mystery of love.
Both the joys and sorrows it's wrought.

“Maybe, another century.”
He offered, “Maybe you'll reach then.”
“Maybe...” Echoed the tree.
Barely hearing her friend.

With a mournful call,
Winged he off out of sight.
And there was left the tree.
Once more alone in the night.

“Someday.” She whispered softly.
Then she sang sweet and low.
And she reached and she reached.
And she dreamed she would grow.

posted under , |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave comments. Please remain civil. .

Newer Post Older Post Home
Telitha Gildersleeve©. Powered by Blogger.

Search

About

Welcome to my little corner of the crazy. I can't promise I will always have something intelligent to say. Or that my wit will always leave you laughing. But I can say this much...what you see is what you get. I am me...and I'm going to endeavor to share that uncensored. So, pull up a seat. Enjoy yourself and if I perhaps entertain you feel free to...

Drop a Coin in the Coffee Can


    .

    .

    .

    .

Recent Comments