Best Sandwiches Eva! (aka Focaccia Bread)


My husband and I were eating sandwiches we'd gotten at the local Co-Op, lovely artisan bread, good meat, fancy cheese, stone ground mustard and fresh veggies. It dawned on me as I was chewing my sprouts most gleefully, that I could make this myself! And it sure as heck wouldn't cost me $7 a sandwich to do it.

I started out with a wheat ciabatta I'd made before, with a recipe from one of my favorite food blogs: Budget Bites. As much as I've enjoyed it in the past, it wasn't light enough for the sandwiches. Not as "fluffy" as my husband put it. So I went back to look for something else. Focaccia jumped out at me, because I enjoy the herbs on top of it. But, looking at the recipe it looked (apart from said herbs) almost identical to the ciabatta.

Being the over zealous little baker I am, said I to myself, "I CAN make it fluffier!" While still maintaining the artisan flavor of course. And what do you know...I did.

Behold! My beauty! I actually forgot to dimple the loaf this time. I was in a hurry. But I know it will still be delicious.

What's that you say? Stop rambling and post the directions to this Godly Sandwich Bread? Ok, ok! Just put down the hose. And prepare yourself for the easiest bread you may ever make.




Before we get going I'd like to make a few quick notes about ingredients. When I make bread I now flat out refuse to use anything but SAF Yeast. It's never failed me. I keep it in the freezer since it comes in a larger package than most and it lasts me a good while. 1 Tbs equates to one packet of active dry yeast, and a package of the stuff is a full pound so it's not exactly breaking the bank to go for quality here. Not only is it all I will use, but it's all the culinary school nearby does as well. Nuff said.

I should also note, that for most things I use plain old all purpose flour. But never, NEVER bleached! I've had plenty of pie crusts fail me, and loaves of bread turn out less than fluffy, because I used to try using a cheap bleached flour. So again, just a little more for quality and you won't regret it. Gold Medal is a nice, affordable brand. Recently I've begun using their "Better for Bread" Flour as well. I must say I do like it. If you want to get really ritzy, go with King Arthur Flour. Can't go wrong there! But for me it's a bit pricier.

Also, when I can afford it I've been using coconut oil or spectrum shortening (which is 100% organic expeller pressed palm oil) in place of other oils and soy laden shortenings. Coconut oil is a fat yes, but it's a fat recognized and broken down more readily by the body. And I really do attempt to cook healthier more often then not. Whether I succeed is another matter.

Alright, onward we go!


NOTE: You need to start this bread a night before you plan to eat it!


Ingredients for Bread:
4 cups of  all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp honey
2 - 2 3/4 cups water


Needed Later:
2 Tbs-ish Corn Meal (I love Bob's Red Mill! Nice and coarse)
1 Tbs-ish of Coconut Oil (other oils will work, I just prefer coconut as mentioned)
1 Tbs-ish Seasoning Blend (I prefer greek, you could also use Italian or your own blend of spices. I also tend to do a sprinkle of Lawry's Season Salt and dried Parsley for color. My bread is vain.)


I usually start this bread around 8-9pm, so I can make it and have it done around lunch time the next day.

So, the first night you'll mix your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Blend them well.

Once your dry ingredients are combined add your water and honey. (If you can't have sugar and aren't worried about it getting quite as fluffy you can leave out the honey for health reasons.) Start with two cups of water and just add a little at a time if your dough isn't holding together. The key is to get just enough water in for the dough to be tacky and your flour to fully blend. You don't want so much water that it's a goopy dough. If you live in a drier climate, like myself you'll use more than others.

Once your dough is well blended into its sticky mass, cover the top loosely with a dish towel or saran wrap (with breathing room) and pop it into a warm place. I tend to put it in the oven where it's not affected by my AC. Sometimes with a bowl of water from the teakettle for a little extra warmth.

Now the best part. Forget about it! That little dough darling gets to rise for fourteen hours or so. If you go a few extra don't panic.

The next day, your little ball of dough should have matured into a bubbly wet looking mass as it's had a glorious night of fermentation. With a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and turn the mass over a few times, loosely making it into a ball.

Foil and grease a baking sheet very well (again I grease my faithful silicone mat!) and sprinkle with your cornmeal generously.

Dump your dough out onto the prepared baking sheet.

Using the oil, cover your hands (as the dough is sticky) and loosely press it into a mostly rectangular shape. Perfection is not important here.

Sprinkle that puppy with your herbs and spices!

Once it's shaped, set your oven to preheat at 425°F. Set the bread atop the stove so the heat helps with the rising. Let it rise for an hour. Sometimes I leave it for an hour and a half.

After rising, you can dimple the top of the bread if you want it to look like a proper Focaccia. Just press your fingers in lines covering it.

Bake 20-25 minutes. Just until golden brown. Then let cool fully. If you have a wire rack you can move it, but mine's never been hurt by staying on its pan to cool.



Seriously. Amazing sandwiches to be had here. One loaf for us makes 6-8 sandwiches depending. My favorite is with Havarti Cheese, Soy-Free Vegenaise, Stone Ground Mustard for Hubby, Peppered Turkey Breast, Alfalfa Sprouts, and Leaf Lettuce. Pure heaven!


Edit Update: I've amended the recipe to call for honey instead of sugar. It works better! Hooray for a pro-tip I found digging around online that yeast feeds off of honey better! 

Further Edit: I've replaced the honey with agave, it works just as well and those watching glycemic index don't have to worry at all! I also tried using potato water and it turned out fluffier than it ever has before! To make potato water just peel, cube and boil one small potato in two cups of water. Mash potato in with water after it boils. You can add a little plain water as needed if you need more water. 


posted under , |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave comments. Please remain civil. .

Newer Post Older Post Home
Telitha Gildersleeve©. Powered by Blogger.

Search

About

Welcome to my little corner of the crazy. I can't promise I will always have something intelligent to say. Or that my wit will always leave you laughing. But I can say this much...what you see is what you get. I am me...and I'm going to endeavor to share that uncensored. So, pull up a seat. Enjoy yourself and if I perhaps entertain you feel free to...

Drop a Coin in the Coffee Can


    .

    .

    .

    .

Recent Comments