Come To The Dark Side We Have...



Perhaps one of the all time favorite cookies I've made are my Star Wars oreos. I originally got the idea from a lovely woman making Yoda oreos (I'll include her recipe) and then took off from there. I've actually invested in even more Star Wars cookie cutters recently, but haven't put them to use just yet!

If you want to make these awesome cookies you'll need a set of these Cutters.

I use the following recipes:

Green Tea Yodas from JustJenn -

I love the flavor the matcha gives these.However, this recipe has been kind of temperamental for me. Sometimes they turn out great. Sometimes the dough is very stiff and crumbly. Do NOT use green tea powder you need to find Matcha powder. I was able to find it cheaper then I could online at a local Asian Market.

I've tried other variations of green tea cookies, but not found another that works yet. The thought of adding matcha to normal sugar cookies was a poor one. they wound up flat and crispy and yoda looked more like Jabba!


Chocolate Darth Vaders -

I was so excited to find this recipe. It's basic and it has never let me down! Recently I've started adding McCormick black food coloring to them as well so they're even darker. But the chocolate is dark enough to pull off the look (like the picture above).

I've also substituted mint extract in place of the vanilla, which folks seem to thoroughly enjoy! I plan on subbing coconut extract too eventually, but have not tested it yet.

The filling I use for these and the Stormtroopers is the same as that found in the yoda recipe. I found I enjoyed it so much I use it for all my sandwich cookies. A double batch will usually fill all three types of cookies easily.


Almond Storm Troopers -

The recipe for this is a basic one not online! Originally I used vanilla extract, but I like to achieve that almond flavor that a lot of sugar cookies have and the change has gone over well with those nomming them.

You will need:

2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
12 Tbs (1 1/2 sticks) Butter
1 cup Sugar
1 Egg
1 1/2 tsp Almond Extract

Make sure your butter is at room temperature for smooth mixing.

Mix your flour and salt together well and set it aside.

Beat your butter in a medium sized bowl until it's fluffy and creamy. Slowly add the sugar and beat until it's incorporated and light and fluffy. Add the egg and extract and beat until they're well mixed in. Again...FLUFFY is the key. Don't forget to scrape the sides of your bowl frequently with a spatula.

Add the flour mixture in two or three portions, beating and incorporating it between additions so it's thoroughly blended. When your dough is well mixed and the flour has absorbed the moisture well your dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl a bit.

Turn the dough out onto your table, or what have you, and divide it into two portions. I find that if I'm using a stand mixer it's a more cohesive lump. If I use a hand mixer it's more crumbly and needs pressed together before divided.  Wrap each of your dough balls in plastic wrap and refrigerate them for at least 2 hours (as long as 2 days).

When you're ready to make your cookies, pull out just one chunk of a dough at a time to work with. I let mine sit for a few minutes so it's a little more malleable. Roll it out fairly thin. Go to work with your cutters while your oven is preheating to 350°F!

Alright so here is where a few little tips I've come upon help me. First, no matter how well I grease my cookie sheets they hate me and love to stick so, these silicon baking mats have saved my cookie's lives! You could invest in parchment paper, but around here a roll costs at least $7 and when you can get something reusable for just a bit more? Well, that's a win for me.

The second tip, is before baking, and if filling more than one cookie sheet, put the waiting cookies in the fridge for 10 minutes. This helps them hold their shapes more. Something I never thought of!

When they're ready for baking pop them in for 10-15 minutes per batch.  I tend to go with the shorter baking time. Even if they're a bit soft you can let them cool until they're set enough to remove from the sheet and then they have a nice soft consistency that will last.

Ta-da!


I use that sugar cookie recipe for just about everything. I've put all kinds of food color and extracts in it and it never really lets me down. Oh though as another note! I almost always roll my sugar cookie dough out between two sheets of plastic wrap which I always have on hand. You could use wax paper, but if you're like me you have few other uses for it so bah! This keeps the sticky dough mess off of your counter top and insures a nice smooth rolling.

Enjoy your cookies! And may the Force be with you!


P.S. Don't forget the blue milk!



posted under , , |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave comments. Please remain civil. .

Newer Post Older Post Home
Telitha Gildersleeve©. Powered by Blogger.

Search

About

Welcome to my little corner of the crazy. I can't promise I will always have something intelligent to say. Or that my wit will always leave you laughing. But I can say this much...what you see is what you get. I am me...and I'm going to endeavor to share that uncensored. So, pull up a seat. Enjoy yourself and if I perhaps entertain you feel free to...

Drop a Coin in the Coffee Can


    .

    .

    .

    .

Recent Comments