Wholly Homemade Ravioli Dinner!




I've been working on making more and more on my own lately. Not only is it cheaper, but it's healthier as well to skip out on things like preservatives and additives.

The notion struck me that ravioli couldn't possibly be that hard to make, so I gave it a go. All I can say is....I NEED a pasta roller! It really wasn't that difficult to make, but it was very hard to get it thin and even with tons of rolling by hand it's still not as thin as I'd have liked it to be.

The leftovers were better than the first day because I simmered them in the sauce I made and browned them a little too. Oh my goodness, yum!

When I get it in my head to do something like this the recipes I make up tend to be hodge podges of a variety of other recipes. But I did take notes this time. And notes on how I deviated from those notes!

The bread was a ciabatta I'd made earlier in the week I wanted to use up and the garlic spread on it was something I whipped up with butter, fresh minced garlic and a variety of spices. Just sliced the sucker thin, put the spread on it and let it toast in the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes.

The ravioli recipe is as follows:


Pasta:
4 eggs (beaten)
2 Tbs water
4 cup flour
1 tsp salt

Filling:
2 Chicken Breasts
1/2 - 2/3 bag fresh spinach
2/3  of a small brick Asiago Cheese (about a cup-ish)
1/4 tsp salt
¼ tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp pepper
small splash of half and half (1-2 Tbs)


In a bowl, mix the eggs, water, 2 cups flour, and salt. Gradually mix in the remaining flour until smooth. Divide dough into 2 parts. Cover, and set aside in the refrigerator 30 minutes.Note: this is a very stiff dough! I had to work it for some while and knead it by hand for a bit before refrigerating it.

While you're dough is cooling cook chicken. When cooked, add spinach to wilt. Mix in food processor. Transfer to bowl, mix with other ingredients. Cool your filling enough so you can handle it!

When the dough is ready roll it out as thin as you can (or be brighter than me and use a pasta roller/press). Only roll out one portion at a time as it's prone to drying while you work if you take too long.

If you don't have a ravioli shaper and press you can simply cut squares.

I used about 1 tsp of filling per 1 ravioli.

Wet the edges of your ravioli before pressing it closed, this helps it stick. If using a press sometimes you may still need to take a fork to the edges to get them to seal better. If making without press lay one square atop the square holding your filling, crimp all four sides with fork!

Let dry for 10 minutes or so before cooking.

Boil slightly salted water gently. You don't want a rolling boil! Cook for 8-10 minutes each. If you'd rather cook these as I did the second day put them in a large pan with high edges and cover in the sauce recipe below. Simmer well for 10 minutes or so per side so they soak up lots of sauce and brown slightly on each side. Not traditional, but good!

I actually stole the cream sauce from a halibut lasagna recipe I adapted and may just have to share later. If you're boiling your pasta, simply coat with sauce before serving!


Cream Sauce: 
6 Tbs Butter
1/3 cup flour
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups chicken brother
1 cup half and half

Melt butter in pan. Add flour and salt. Stir til smooth and golden brown. Gradually add broth and cream and stir until thickened. 



And that my beauties, is all there is to it. It's time consuming to be sure, but it's really not difficult if you're feeling brave!

posted under , |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave comments. Please remain civil. .

Newer Post Older Post Home
Telitha Gildersleeve©. Powered by Blogger.

Search

About

Welcome to my little corner of the crazy. I can't promise I will always have something intelligent to say. Or that my wit will always leave you laughing. But I can say this much...what you see is what you get. I am me...and I'm going to endeavor to share that uncensored. So, pull up a seat. Enjoy yourself and if I perhaps entertain you feel free to...

Drop a Coin in the Coffee Can


    .

    .

    .

    .

Recent Comments